Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HOW TO SIFT FLOUR or SUGAR Without a SIFTER!

While attempting to try a new Cream Cheese Frosting recipe for my daughter's 13th Birthday, I was at a loss at how to sift the sugar.  Then I remembered I had my Grandmother's Recipe book.  Even though she was an avid baker and had an old fashioned sifter -- I was sure she was caught off guard with this one too.  Sure enough there it was!  The instructions to sift flour without an old fashioned sifter!   
I remember Grandmother telling me how crucial sifting the flour is in many baking recipes, especially cakes and breads.  She would tell me that using a "flour sifter,"  incorporated air into the flour, and separate the particles.  Unfortunately, I did not inherit from her the wonderful skill of baking from scratch.  But, thank goodness for her jots and tittles.  Here is grandma's instructions: 
 
  1. To make 1 cup of sifted flour, first measure 1 cup of unsifted flour.  Pour it into a strainer, and set the strainer on top (or hold above) your mixing bowl;
  2. With a fork, stir the flour in the strainer so that it falls into the mixing bowl below.  The strainer, combined with the fork action, helps to mix air into the flour and separate the particles.  This gives the flour the same effect as if you ran it through an "old fashioned sifter."  
IT WORKS!   Try it and enjoy!



HomemakersHaven

No comments:

Post a Comment